The Autism and Social Communication Inclusion Team
The Autism and Social Communication Inclusion Team (ASCIT) are part of Inclusion & Early Intervention within the Education Department.
We are an outreach team who have a role in supporting schools in their understanding and management of pupils presenting with an Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC) or related social communication difficulties. We are a small team of teachers and lead keyworkers with direct experience in the field of autism. We generally work to support school staff to develop suitable intervention, structures or routines rather than provide regular direct contact with individual pupils.
How might the ASCIT work with my child?
The ASCIT may work with your child’s teacher and/or assistant to design and implement appropriate strategies. They may use the following approaches:-
- Observation in class and in social situations
- Use a range of checklists and assessments to identify strengths and difficulties
- Obtain your child’s point of view about preferences and dislikes
- If there are significant communication or sensory differences, pupils may also be referred to other specialist agencies, e.g. Speech & Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy
- Support the development of social skills, communication and relationships
- Help staff write targets, social stories and visual timetables
How ASCIT supports parents
The ASCIT may work with your child’s teacher and/or assistant to design individual approaches
- We will always make contact with you to discuss your views/concerns
- We ask the school to arrange a joint consultation meeting at your child’s school
- We aim to help teachers and parents provide consistent approache
Who to contact
Where to go
- Education Department
- JE4 8QJ
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Monday to Fridday, 8.45am - 4.30pm
- Referral required
- Referral Details
If you have any concerns about your child’s social communication skills (not necessarily with a diagnosis of autism) then you first need to speak to school staff.
If the school thinks the ASCIT may be able to help, they will refer your child to the team. Casework and support is allocated on a needs-led basis and referrals are allocated on a half termly basis.
Your permission will always be sought if the ASCIT are going to be formally involved in supporting your child.