Skip to main content

Affordable Housing Gateway

About the Affordable Housing Gateway

We manage the waiting list for everyone who is registered for social housing in Jersey. 

We then share this list with all the social housing providers, such as:

  • Andium Homes 
  • Jersey Homes Trust
  • Les Vaux Housing Trust
  • FB Cottages Housing Trust 
  • Christians Together in Jersey Housing Trust

How it works

We assess you for social rented accommodation. If you are eligible, we’ll place you in a priority band dependent on your circumstances.

Once you’ve been accepted onto the waiting list, it is up to the housing providers to make an offer of accommodation.

Andium Homes

Andium Homes, a housing provider, advertise available property on their website

To be considered for an Andium property, you’ll need contact Andium directly and quote your Name and Gateway Number. If Andium are then able to consider you for the property advertised, they will contact you directly.

Housing trusts

All other housing providers do not have websites. When they have property available, they’ll contact you when they can make you an offer of accommodation. 

Offers will be made to those in the greatest need. 

Applying to get on the waiting list

You can apply for affordable housing using the form below. You can also apply for a transfer using the form. 

We’ll ask you for some supporting documents, so you’ll need to make sure you have those to hand. These are all listed in the form. 

We will assess your application and will contact you to let you know if you qualify. We may arrange an appointment to meet with you if necessary. 

Apply to join the housing waiting list or Purchase Scheme waiting list

Applying for transfer 

If you’re already housed within a social housing property and your circumstances change, which means you need to move, you can apply using the form below. We’ll consider your circumstances again.

Apply for a transfer

How we assess your needs 

We will assess your application based on your needs and circumstances. Examples of how applications are banded are listed below:

Band 1 (highest priority)

You'll fit into this band if you're:

  • homeless
  • under eviction notice (with a court order in place)
  • in tied accommodation that is linked to your employment where employment has finished
  • unable to live or return to your present home because of an urgent medical issue
  • have no rights to stay in your current accommodation
  • forced to live apart from family because your current accommodation isn't suitable
  • staying in a hostel or shelter type accommodation
  • an existing tenant who is under-occupying 

Band 2

You'll fit into this band if you:

  • have overcrowding problems (for example, opposite gender children sharing a room if there is an age gap of five or more years, or more than two children in one room)
  • are in poor housing standards
  • have moderate medical issues 

Band 3

You’ll fit into this band if you are adequately housed but are unable to afford your current rent without financial assistance.

Band 4

You’ll fit into this band if you’re adequately housed and you have little or no housing need but wish to change home. 

Band 5

You’ll fit into this band if you want to purchase a property, but require some financial assistance to do so. 

Band 6

You’ll fit into this band if you require ongoing landlord support to live independently and are only likely to be housed by certain landlords who can offer extra care.

Waiting times to get a home

We can’t tell you how long you’ll be waiting for.

Your waiting time will depend on:

  • which priority band you’re in
  • how long you’ve been on the waiting list
  • what type of property you need
  • what type of property is available

If you’re in a low priority band, others on the list might be prioritised before you. 

Where you will be housed

There are different types of accommodation available in different areas. 


This will depend on what is available with the housing providers at the time.

Size of property

The size of property that you are offered will depend on:

  • your housing need
  • your circumstances at the time
  • the size of your family

Help with paying rent

All social housing rents are generally charged at 90% of the market equivalent for each property type.

If you’re struggling to pay your rent and need support, you may be entitled to receive Income Support.

Income Support rates

If you refuse the property you’re offered or don’t express interest in property available 

You’ll need to write us a letter to explain why you’re either refusing or not expressing an interest. We’ll reassess your application to understand why.
If we find the property is suitable for your housing needs, you’ll be moved to a lower priority band or you might lose your place on the waiting list. 

Changes in your circumstances

Let us know immediately if your circumstances change in any way as it could affect your application or length of waiting time.

A change of circumstances could mean that you:

  • have moved address
  • have any medical changes
  • have a marriage breakdown
  • become pregnant
  • have a child move out
  • have a partner move out
  • have a new partner
  • have a change in your earnings
  • inherit any property
  • get any new pets

How to appeal if your application is refused

If your application is refused, you can appeal by writing to the Strategic Housing Unit at Chief Minister's Department, PO Box 140, 19-21 Broad Street, St Helier, Jersey, JE2 3RR.

They will review your application and take into account any extra information you have provided.

They will let you know whether or not your appeal has been successful.

If you’re unhappy with their decision, you should write to them to ask that your case is passed to the housing minister for formal appeal. They will make a final decision on whether or not you can be accepted onto our waiting list. 

This doesn’t affect your right to an independent review of any decision. 

How to qualify for affordable housing

You must:

  • be 18 or over
  • have housing qualifications
  • have a registration card
  • have a single or joint income of less than £40,000 per year (unless you have exceptional circumstances)

You must also meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • have a medical, physical or mental disability and be in need of a special type of housing
  • have a family with young children and be in receipt of a relatively low income
  • be over 50 and in receipt of a relatively low income

Maximum income for affordable housing

If your single or joint income is over the £40,000 limit, you won’t normally qualify for affordable housing.

However, your application may still be considered if you have high childcare costs or a reduced income after having a baby.

You'll be assessed against a set of criteria to place you in the appropriate priority band. Priority will be given to those who are in the greatest need to be housed.

Affordable housing and how to apply

If you’re expecting your first child

We won’t be able to activate your application until you're 24 weeks pregnant. The housing providers probably won’t be able to offer you accommodation until your child is born, due to the high demand for social housing.

If there are special reasons why you can’t stay in your present accommodation up until your due date, or it’s unsuitable for new-born babies, let us know as soon as possible. 

In all cases, you'll need to provide medical confirmation of your expected delivery date.

If you’re homeless or about to become homeless

Housing providers rarely have emergency accommodation. However, your application will be prioritised if you’re homeless or are about to become homeless. 

Your application will only be accepted if you haven’t intentionally made yourself homeless or if you’re being evicted from a private sector rental. 

If you can’t stay at your current address

Once you’re on the waiting list, it could be a long time before the housing providers can offer you any social housing. It’s important you do everything you can before relying on social housing.  

If your lease is going to expire

Speak to your landlord to see if an extension of your lease is possible, perhaps on a monthly basis.

If you’re going to be evicted

Speak to your landlord and see whether the eviction process can be delayed. Let them know that you have registered with us.

Contact Citizens Advice to find out your rights for more information.

Citizens Advice

If you can’t afford the rent

Contact us to see if you may qualify for Income Support.

You should also speak to your landlord to see whether any allowances can be made in the short term.

In all circumstances, you should consider:

  • looking in the private sector
  • asking family or friends who may be able to help you
  • looking at short term accommodation, such as guest houses, winter lets or hostels
  • letting us know about any change of circumstances, as this may affect your priority 

If you own property

We won’t consider your application if you own property, unless you have exceptional circumstances.

You should contact us to discuss further.


Who to contact

01534 448944

Time / Date Details

When is it on
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm
Back to top