Support for children with special educational needs
The Department for Children, Young People, Education and Skills provides equal opportunities to all children so they can access education regardless of their circumstances.
Your child’s teachers will use the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice and the guidelines for Ordinarily Available.
We ensure children are included by:
- providing a welcoming approach to children, parents and careers who have additional needs
- using flexible educational arrangements according to a child’s needs
- monitoring progress to ensure children are meeting their targets
- working towards children achieving high or increasing levels of attendance
- providing extra services and support in a child's school or setting
- ensuring staff access and enjoy high quality SEN training
- ensuring staff deliver high quality teaching for all children
- using a step by step approach to meeting their needs
If you have concerns about your child’s education, you should speak to your child's class teacher or form tutor. They’ll discuss your child's needs and explain how they and the school can support you.
If you still have concerns, you should contact your school's Special Educational Needs co-ordinator (SENCo). SENCo's oversee support services within schools.
If you would prefer to speak with someone outside of school, you should contact the Department for Children, Young People, Education and Skills.
Inclusion & Early Intervention are a section within the Department for Children, Young People, Education and Skills which includes specialist professionals who provide advice, support and training for all schools and settings in the following areas:
- special educational needs
- english as an additional language
- parenting and family support
- educational psychology
- education welfare
- autism and social communication
- visual impairment
- hearing impairment
- speech and language
- early years
Who to contact
Where to go
- Children, Young People, Education and Skills
PO Box 142
- JE4 8QJ
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Monday to Friday 8.45am - 4.30pm
- Session Information
Some services may only be available during school term time
- Referral required